It may seem odd to consider delving into a nature study about simple machines. That topic seems to fit better into the study of physics than biology or earth & space science. Surprisingly, though, it’s not as far-fetched as it sounds to connect physics to nature study. Enjoy this simple machine nature study!
In the podcast episode, learn first about some of the main science disciplines and in which area of science simple machines are usually studied. Then learn the main difference between simple and complex machines, while focusing on two types of simple machines – the lever and wedge.
Simple Machine Nature Study
From simple shovels to the massive machinery in factories, all machines help make work easier. The podcast episode helps you understand where machines fit into the world of science and how they connect to nature study. After listening, see how many of these questions you can answer.
- Name the four main branches of physical science.
- Name some living things we observe in nature.
- Name some non-living things we observe in nature.
- What two types of categories are there for machines?
- How many simple machines can you name?
- Describe the simple machines in a pair of scissors.
- How many simple machines are there in a pair of scissors?
Simple Machine Nature Study Video Class
The No Sweat Nature Study video class about simple machines in nature continues this conversation with examples of simple machines in the everyday lives of plants and animals. It’s amazing to think about the five types of simple machines as they connect to biology. Children will love making a chart of each simple machine alongside the plants and animals who use them.
Expect to learn more than just science as we delve into the history behind simple machines. Expect to meet some of the folks who first experimented with them after observing the movements of animals, too!
A Nature Walk Challenge
Download a free Simple Machine Nature Walk Challenge below. It will be instantly delivered to your email inbox. Grab a nature journal and some brightly colored pencils for an exciting nature walk!
Would you like to record a voicemail to answer this season’s nature study question?
At the end of each No Sweat Nature Study Podcast episode, Mrs. Cindy includes messages from a few of her friends. You can record a message that she might use on an upcoming episode! All children must have their parent’s permission before leaving a recording. Parents are welcome to record an answer, too!
Think about your answer first and then follow these simple directions:
- Click the button that says “Start recording”.
- Tell me your first name. (If you want to tell your age and/or where you live, feel free to do that, too.)
- You will have 60 seconds to answer the question but try to be concise.
- Push the play button to listen to your recording before sending it to be sure it is recorded properly. If not, simply record it again.
Please leave a rating or a review on your podcast app! It helps the podcast to show up for more people…which means more families can enjoy science through the wonderful lens of nature study! Thank you!