Nature study is important because it provides real-life foundations for all the sciences. Yes, all of them. It encourages higher order thinking skills through observation, investigation, research, comparison, classification, experimentation, and so much more.
I’m here to help you make nature study a reality in your homeschool…and you won’t have to do anything more than turn on the computer twice a month!
Click here to see the 2019-2020 schedule.
Two Live Nature Study Classes
- All classes are geared toward 1st-8th grades, but younger and older students are welcome to join.
- Each class lasts 30-45 minutes and includes opportunities for your students to learn about the science topic at hand, complete a nature notebooking page, gain rich scientific vocabulary, interact with the teacher via a chat function, and generally have fun!
- All classes are recorded and placed in a library for you, so there are no worries about scheduling conflicts.
Printable Class Packet
- Note: You do not have to print anything in order to enjoy the live classes.
- The packet available for each class includes a brief overview of the topic for pre or post learning, a list of important vocabulary, an image of at least one item that we use during the notebooking portion of the lesson, and a few extra learning ideas you might like to use.
- The packet can help you in several ways – to prepare for the lesson ahead, to use during the notebooking portion of the lesson, to use as review, and/or to continue the learning.
Access to the Complete Video Library
- All live classes are recorded and placed into a video library (along with the printable packet) for you to access at any time. You will have access to the entire video collection to watch and rewatch as many times as you like.
- Occasional bonus videos are placed in the library, too!
FREE access to the entire series of No Sweat Nature Study Curriculum
- Members can download any and all of the No Sweat Nature Study digital curriculum for free.
- This curriculum targets the same age levels as No Sweat Nature Study Live and can be used with multiple ages at once.
- It’s perfect to use during morning time or as part of your official science plan!
25% Off the Our Journey Westward Shop
- Members automatically receive 25% off all purchases from the Our Journey Westward shop for the duration of the membership.
- A regular email serves to remind you about upcoming classes and offers special teaching tidbits here and there.
Ok. Maybe not everyone, but it’s appropriate for any student in 1st-8th grade. Homeschool families, co-op classes, after school programs, and even regular classrooms will love it. The membership works well for:
- Families or groups with multiple ages
- Children of all learning abilities
- Children of all learning styles
- Children who like to get outside and those who don’t
- Anyone living anywhere in the world during any season of the year
The nature studies we’ve done with Cindy have not only been very informative, but fun as well. I love how easy it is to add to their nature journals!” Angela H., mom of 6
“We have enjoyed Cindy’s classes for a while now and always learn something new. My two boys are loving the nature studies! They are excited to get outside to discover things after every class, too!” Jen, mom of 2
1 month = $10 (That’s only $5 per lesson!)
3 months = $25 (That’s only $4.17 per lesson!)
12 months = $90 (That’s only $3.75 per lesson!)
(This is introductory pricing. Once the resource library is built up in a few months, the prices will go up. If you join now, your price stays at the introductory level until you choose to cancel the membership.)
How long do the classes last? Each class lasts 30-45 minutes.
When do the classes meet? Lessons take place on Tuesdays at 2pm EST during the 1st and 3rd weeks of each month.
Where do the classes meet? Classes are taught on the Zoom platform. You will preregister for each class (it’s easy) and receive a private access link via email.
What happens if I can’t attend a live class? You can watch the recorded class from the video library. It’s definitely not imperative to attend live.
Will you teach classes during the summer? Yes. Many schools and homeschools follow a year-round schedule, so lessons continue through the summer. If you take a break from school during the summer, you can use the classes as fun boredom busters or simply catch up on the missed classes using the video library once your school is back in session.
Do I have to print the class packet? No. It’s simply available to you as an additional resource. Nothing within the live lesson requires the packet.
What supplies will we need? Most of the time, each student will need a nature journal (or plain, white paper) and colored pencils. Occasionally, I will suggest other supplies like watercolors, a tape measure, or a magnifying glass – none of which will be mandatory. Supplies are listed in the registration and email reminders.
Where should we sit to view the class? You student(s) will need a sturdy surface in order to complete the nature journaling activities. Gathering around a table of some sort is probably best.
What if we don’t live in the same area as you? Will the lessons be pertinent to us? Yes, the lessons will be pertinent to everyone no matter where you are in the world or your current season. None of the lessons require you to have certain specimens in order to complete the activities.
How will No Sweat Nature Study lessons fit into my current science schedule? You have a few options:
- Use the lessons as a supplement to your regular science curriculum.
- Use the lessons in place of your regular science lessons for the day (or week if you plan to complete the follow-up activities).
- Forego the live lessons and choose topics from the video library that fit with whatever science or seasonal path you have planned.
Is there a scope and sequence to the lessons? No. The lessons cover a variety of topics within all the sciences. Every once in a while, they have connections to history and math topics, too.
Do students need prior knowledge about a topic to get the most from a class. No. Cindy teaches everything necessary to understand the topic of the day.
Is there special licensing for co-ops and classrooms? Yes. A membership needs to be purchased for every five students in your classroom. (You may not share the membership with your co-op families or other teachers. This license is for one teacher to use in her own classroom. If the teacher has five students, she will purchase one membership. If she has 10 students, she will purchase two memberships. And, so on.)
May I share my membership with another family? No. I’m sorry. Each family needs to purchase its own membership.
How do I renew my membership? Your membership will automatically renew. You should receive an email notification a few days before renewal. You may cancel the membership at any time.